Tuesday, June 16, 2009

We take our freedom for granted


Check out these photos of Iranian citizens risking their lives and flooding the streets to protest a scourge upon their freedom - a suspected fraudulent election.

These photos are heartbreaking. Men and women standing side by side, in defiance of a government ban to stand for the privilege of Democracy.

Contrast that with the behavior of the average American. I believe less than 20% bothered to cast their vote in an air-conditioned polling place in our last Peoria election.

It is only by the grace of God that we live the privileged and free life we do in the greatest country in the world. Let's not forget that. God bless America, and may God bless the Iranians.

Hat tip - Peoria Pundit

4 comments:

sheryl said...

Wrong. I for one never take my freedom for granted. I appreciate it everyday. I heard the stories from my immigrant parents.

And, if we had a govt equivalent to that of Iran I would bet Americans would react similar to the Iranians; more people would vote in an election and more people would be in the streets behaving defiantly, if our govt were like Iran.

Americans voting in low numbers I believe is indicative of a satisfaction really. Though we complain of about our politicians, they are not as bad as some other country. A complacency maybe but I don't think we take our freedoms for granted.

Diane Vespa said...

Great points, Sheryl.

Left Coast Rebel said...

Great site here! I put you on my follow list, could you do the same? Nice to see you at the Left Coast Rebel.......

Diane Vespa said...

Yes, done. You are linked to in our "other sites of interest" panel on the side bar.

Post a Comment