Saturday, April 18, 2009

Is our local media arithmetically challenged?

Five hundred or three thousand? That is the question regarding the head count at last Tuesdays tea party in downtown Peoria.

It appears that our local newspaper estimated the crowd to be over 500, while WEEK reported closer to 3,000. Granted "over 500" could also mean 3,000, but so could the phrase "over 10".

My educated guess - somewhere in the middle - but closer to the higher figure. Maybe all media should consider having a trained in-house "crowd counter". ;)


Hat Tip: Atomic Lib Smasher

4 comments:

Atomic Lib Smasher said...

Yep. 3,000 is more than 500. According to the Peoria Journal Star, they might as well have said "The moon is bigger than a walnut". It'd be about the same.

Atomic Lib Smasher said...

By the way, I put ya on the Weekend Linkest. Thought ya'd like being included. :)

http://theconservativedominion.blogspot.com/2009/04/weekend-linkfest_18.html

Diane Vespa said...

Why Thank you. Yes I would. ;)

Peoria Peepers said...

I'm not great at that sort of thing, but I think over 500 was way too conservative. I would guess around 1,000 at least.

Post a Comment